Monday, 3 April 2017

Gigs, Gigs, Gigs....

I have had the great fortune to be able to go to many gigs over the years.  On a recent Facebook post, one of my old school friends listed the bands he had seen over the years and I thought maybe I should do the same so here goes.  Cast, Audioweb, The Nicotines, The Lightning Seeds, Marillion, No Sweat, Thunder (4 times), Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, U2, Glasvegas (never again....), Marillion, Steeleye Span (9 or 10 times), Rogues in Resin, Rock, Salt & Nails, Jethro Tull (twice), Iona (twice), The Palladinos, Eden Burning (twice), Terl Bryant, PFR, Martyn Joseph (four times including once with Steve Knightley), Chrome Molly, The Amorettes, Sweet Savage, Saxon, Iron Maiden (twice), Wolfsbane (twice), The Quireboys, Petra, Wilko Johnson (twice), UFO, The Sound and The Fury (awful...), Black Star Riders, Thee Hynoptics, Europe (three times), FM, Diamond Head, Thin Lizzy, Foreigner, The Dave Spencer Trio, Terrorvision, Black Stone Cherry, Reef, Avenged Sevenfold, Within Temptation, Lauren Harris, Magnum and last but not least Michael Schenker (pictured left).  I am sure that I have forgotten many other non memorable support acts in that list as well, but a lot has happened in 25 years.

I saw Michael Schenker perform on his "Michael Schenker & Friends" comeback tour after he stopped touring following an alcohol related breakdown.  Due to the small size of the venue I got to stand right in front of Michael and got to view close up his phenomenal guitar playing.  All of the Michael Schenker Group & UFO classics were played that night and there was no doubt in my mind that he was back.  His career since then has continued to rise on an upward curve with sell out tours, successful albums and a recent reunion tour with former MSG vocalists Graham Bonnet, Gary Barden and Rob McAuley.  His guitar playing continues to inspire me, although I would never have discovered the second MSG album or Michael Schenker if it hadn't been shared with me from an unlikely source.  My Maths teacher, Mr Sanders, knew that I liked heavy rock and taped some MSG and Gillan albums for me and whilst my Maths skills remain patchy at best, my love of these albums has remained throughout the years.  So thank you to Mr S (The Maths) and Mr S (The guitar wielding legend).

No comments:

Post a Comment